March 2, 2023
What Causes a Generac Generator Not To Start?
A generator can be a lifesaver when a storm, wildfire, or other event causes your electricity to go out, or when you need electrical power but you’re away from the grid. Generac generators are the best line of defense in such situations and they’re extremely reliable, but they’re still machines, and machines malfunction from time to time. If your generator won’t start, here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to rectify the situation.
- Check the oil-Oil is one of the most essential components of maintaining any internal combustion engine, and if your oil level is too low, the generator will have a hard time getting started. Your generator has a low oil sensor to warn you, but it could malfunction, and you won’t get a warning that the oil level is too low.
- Check the fuel tank-this may seem like a no brainer, but without fuel, your generator won’t start.
- You may have a clogged fuel valve-to check this, get a bucket and disconnect the fuel line to see if gas is flowing through the line. You’ll need the bucket to catch any gas that leaks out.
- Spark plugs-Check the spark plug to see if it’s dirty. If it has a buildup of dirt or debris, clean it with a brush and verify that the gap is set properly. If the electrodes look cracked or broken, replace the spark plug.
- Ignition coil-this part sends voltage to the spark plug while the engine is running. If the spark plug looks ok, you may need to replace the ignition coil.
- The battery may be dead-Like your car, the generator won’t start if it has a dead battery. Try charging it or giving it a jump from your car.
- The choke may not be working properly-the choke regulates the air levels inside the carburetor when the engine starts. If the generator won’t start, the choke may need to be adjusted.
- Dirty air filter-if the generator’s air filter is too dirty, air can’t get into the carburetor. If this is the case, replace the air filter and try starting the generator again.
If all of these steps fail, you need to contact the professionals at Seidel Electric Inc. We are a family owned and operated electrical contracting firm that has served the Blairstown, New Jersey area since 1944. We specialize in meeting the needs of our community for residential electrical work, indoor and outdoor lighting, home entertainment lighting, and electrical project design services. Our fully trained technicians meet the highest professional standards in the industry and provide outstanding customer service. We are experts when it comes to reputable generator installation and have earned the designation as a Generac Power Pro Professional company.