March 2, 2023
How Do You Start a Generac Generator Manually?
A backup generator for your home can be a lifesaver when storms, fires, or other events cause your electricity to go out. The generator is connected to your home’s electrical system via a transfer switch. When the transfer switch detects that your power has gone out, the electronics in the generator switch it on to restore power in your home.
Once power is restored from the grid, the transfer switch is once more alerted to that fact, and it directs the generator to disengage. After the restoration of power, the generator will continue to run for a minute or two performing a cool down cycle. Once the generator has cooled down sufficiently, the generator will turn itself off to be ready for the next power outage.
If you have a Generac generator, you probably hope that it’s never needed, but if you lose your electricity and the generator doesn’t kick in, you may need to start it manually.
If you don’t know how to start it manually, you can check your owners’ manual to learn how, but if you can’t remember where you left the manual, here are the instructions you’ll need.
- First, locate your generator. It’s the big grey box outside your home!
- Open the cover by releasing the locks that are found on each end of the generator.
- Next, find the Manual/Auto/Off generator control panel located on the right hand side of the unit and select the Off position to turn the generator off.
- Press ENTER on the key pad to clear the fault code.
- Next, select AUTO on the control panel, and the generator should start within 10 seconds.
- If the generator doesn’t start within 10 seconds, you may need to start the generator manually.
- To start the generator manually, select MANUAL on the generator control keypad, and the generator should start.
- When power is restored to your home, return to the generator, and select AUTO on the generator control keypad to restore it to the automatic mode. That way, it will be ready should you lose power again.
If all of this fails, you may have a more serious problem that will necessitate a service call from your Generac generator technician. That’s where we come in.
Seidel Electric Inc. is a family owned and operated electrical contracting firm that has served the Blairstown, New Jersey area since 1944. We specialize in meeting the needs of our community for residential electrical work, indoor and outdoor lighting, home entertainment lighting, and electrical project design services. Our fully trained technicians meet the highest professional standards in the industry and provide outstanding customer service. We are experts when it comes to reputable generator installation and have earned the designation as a Generac Power Pro Professional company.